This course will conquer these issues:
- You do not know how to record drums with just two mics and make it sound good.
- You want to record high-end sounds, but you only have two microphone inputs on your recording interface.
- You find your studio limiting to what sounds you can get.
- You are not happy with the sounds in your studio, and you want to improve.
We all start out small.
I started out with a two-channel interface, and I only had two microphones.
One of the largest challenges with using just two microphones: Recording drums!
How in the world could you record a whole kit and get a tight and modern sound?
Drum Sounds are Made of Several Things
The sound of drums is not just how many microphones that you use.
It's the acoustics, muffling, tuning, and mic position.
I teach a little of each, and they all contribute to the sound.
Knowing how to adjust the room, can help get back more attack out of the drums.
Knowing how to muffle the drums, can help the microphones capture more of the tones you want with minimal mic recording.
Other Instruments are Covered Too
We cover guitar recording and piano recording. Vocal and acoustic guitar recording are covered in the bonus unit.
At the end of both units, you understand how to record anything at your studio with just two microphones.
No longer will your studio just be used for singer-songwriters or vocal overdubbing. You can do any instrument that you like.
What you will learn in this course:
- Learn how to record drums with two microphones. There are several approaches, and I teach you the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
- Learn how to record guitar amps, DI backup electric tracks and bass tracks, and guitar/bass re-amping.
- Learn how to track vocal and how adjusting the microphone is a great way to EQ the sound of the vocalist (Bonus Unit).
- Learn how to record acoustic guitars and how various microphone positions yield huge results (Bonus Unit).
- Learn how to adjust the sound treatment of your room so that you can get better tracks and better sounds (Bonus Unit).
What is Needed?
- USB, Firewire, or Thunderbolt interface with 2 microphone inputs.
- 2 Microphones
- Passive Re-amp Box with a "Thru" jack, or "Parallel IN/OUT"(Examples are Whirlwind IMP 2, Radial Pro DI, Art ZDirect, Countryman Type 85)
What Kind of Gear will Be Used in the Course?
- The course uses microphones that are all $700 and below.
- I use only two microphones at a time. I also own a Behringer U-phoria UMC404HD which I used only two inputs of to develop this course.
- Everything I do here at my studio can be done in your studio too.
What is in the course?
- 8 core lessons in Unit 1, and 5 core lessons in Unit 2
- Total video time of the core lessons is 2 hours and 14 minutes.
- 2 bonus units (8 bonus lessons)
- Text articles
- Listening examples
- Direct email support from me with custom step-by-step instructions
- Immediate access to all the course materials
- Video downloads of core lessons are available (994 MB)
- Lesson 1: Big Effect on Sound Part 1: Acoustics (13:47)
- Lesson 2: Big Effect on Sound Part 2: Drum Tech (7:02)
- Lesson 3: Big Effect on Sound Part 3: Performance (5:39)
- Lesson 4: Big Drum Sounds with a Punchy Kick (7:34)
- Lesson 5: Tight and Groovy Drum Sounds (8:06)
- Lesson 6: Spaced Pair and Other Stereo Drum Issues (6:02)
- Lesson 7: Recorderman - The whole story (4:10)
- Lesson 8: Signal sum via Small Mixer (9:43)
- Lesson 1: Recording Guitar with 1 and 2 Microphones (25:02)
- Lesson 2: Recording Guitar with a Mic and DI Box (9:00)
- Lesson 3: Capturing Contrasting Guitar Tones for 3D Depth (7:43)
- Lesson 4: How to Re-amp When you Only have Two Outputs (11:49)
- Lesson 5: Recording Piano with 1 and 2 Microphones (8:19)
Bonus Unit: Singer-songwriter Essentials for Two Inputs
(Related Content from the Singer-songwriter course)
- Recording the Vocal on it's Own (12:51)
- Recording the Acoustic Guitar on it's Own (10:45)
- Creating a Reverb Chamber for Improving DI Tracks (19:13)
Bonus Unit: Acoustic Essentials for Minimal Mic Recording
(Related Content from Master the Art of Drum Recording)
- The Room is a Part of the Sound (6:07)
- What Makes a Great Recording Room (5:57)
- First Reflections (5:25)
- Second Reflections (2:12)
- Ceiling Treatment (6:57)
Bonus - Step-by-step email support directly from me (Ryan)
- Something sounds a little off and you can't figure out why?
- Just email me a short audio file, and I'll give you a custom step-by-step process on how to improve.
- You get immediate access to all the videos. Total video time is 3 Hours, 1 Minute. (03:01:00)
- You never expire or go out of date. You have this course for life.
- Download the core lessons
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- I want you to be completely happy with the course and coaching. If you are not happy for any reason, just email me within the first 30 days from your purchase and I'll refund 100% of the purchase price for this course.
- No risk. The only thing you risk is not getting the course, and allowing unsure microphone technique to hold you back the sound of your singer-songwriter recordings.